So tomorrow he will start over, with the phone book, only calling the companies we've heard of before.
Rrgh. Moving is hard.
The current idea of schedule:
* pack up all books, send to local relatives via US Postal Service media rate (cheaper than movers!), as suggested by friend this evening
* ruthlessly prune furniture (so far there are 3 things we have agreed are not worth paying to ship)
* ruthlessly prune own clothes and possessions; give to Goodwill or something
* attempt to get Andres to ruthlessly prune clothes and possessions; fail
* movers arrive Dec. 16th-ish (ideally, this "ish" will be removed tomorrow or the next day, as I would like a firm plan
* drive alllllll the way across the country, visiting various relatives a bit before Christmas
* arrive in California on Dec. 28th, stay with local relatives for a few days while touring previously-arranged apartments
* sign six-month or one-year lease on apartment
* movers arrive (or, if they were faster than we were, we call them to get stuff out of storage)
* arrange furniture, get car registered, etc.
* have shiny new life